I now remember why I left. I lived among grown people who had their lives made. Their projects were set, their goals clear, their dreams local, and their roots grown. The older ones. The four columns that held the fortress. The younger ones, triad for finish and decoration. I wanted to see what I could accomplish outside of the shadow of that luscious tree, grow my own roots and be my own tree. I wanted to not be at the mercy of, the nickel of, the clock of, somebody else. Unscrutinized to explore the smarts and the dumb. The freedom to make mistakes I no longer call so. The room to make my own path… And why, if there’s one already made I can just walk on? Because even though we’re the same, we’re also different. Because I like peace and quiet, because I like driving my own car, because I like clean air, because I cook and dine out at leisure, because I like smaller places, because I like less traffic, because I like efficiency, because I’m less patient, because even though their dreams are a wonder I can savor, they are their dreams. I now remember why I must leave again: because I must take the hard way. Because I could never settle. Because I still have my own trail to carve. Because the easy way out is never easy.
- Turmeric Chicken Tenders in Under 10 Minutes!
- Quinoa Cilantro Tabbouleh – An easy and nutritious salad
- Dominican Sancocho (hearty stew) pressure cooker recipe
- Pressure cooker quinoa rice with sausage
- Braised eggplant
- Shrimp mofongo recipe
- Leftover turkey noodle soup
- Zucchini noodles with fish in ginger sauce
- Cold noodle salad
- Stir fried eggplant with pork
Visit my sponsors:
Top Posts & Pages
- Braised chicken gizzards recipe: a treat for adventurous palates!
- Boiled yuca with onions (yuca encebollada)
- Dominican black beans recipe - Slow cooker version
- Moro de guandules (pigeon pea rice)
- Fried eggplant recipe (torrejas de berenjena)
- Como curar una mamajuana
- Maiz con dulce - Dominican sweet corn recipe
- Cooking with bija - using annatto seeds
- Recién nacidos: rituales y supersticiones
- Braised chicken recipe (pollo guisado)