If you do not own a rice cooker, you can learn how to make stove top rice the Dominican way. The result is rice that is visually enticing and incredibly delicious, with just the right texture.
Following the instructions in this recipe will yield rice that is neither mushy nor too grainy. If you prefer grainy rice, add one cup of water per cup of rice. For stickier rice, double the amount of water.
How to make stove top rice
- 2 cups of medium to long grain rice
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- On a medium pot, add one tablespoon of oil and allow to warm on medium to high heat.
- Add the salt and the water and allow them to come to a boil.
- Add the rice. Stir and lower the fire to medium.
- Leave rice uncovered until the water boils down, stirring every couple of minutes.
- Once all the water has disappeared, cover the rice and turn the fire to low. Wait 15 minutes.
- Uncover the rice, add 1/2 tablespoon of oil and cover again for five more minutes.
- Serve with your choice of vegetables and protein for a complete meal.
How to make stove top rice.