This tofu broccolette stir fry recipe includes red bell pepper. Ground annatto seeds are added to the tofu to achieve an enticing, all natural color.
“Your tummy likes a rainbow” is a great new teaching for kids in preschool. This is true for adults, and I would add that our eyes like a rainbow too.
Start with medium to firm tofu. If your spice rack does not include ground annatto seeds (achiote, or bija), I highly recommend you get a jar. Bija can be used for coloring in many dishes from meats to grains. It is an all natural spice with no additives (if you buy achiote, read the label to make sure you are getting only the ground annatto seeds). As an alternative to annatto seeds, you may color the tofu with a few drops of light soy sauce while frying.
Broccolette is becoming very popular in the produce section. I like it for stir-frying because it cooks faster than broccoli and the taste is somewhat sweeter and more distinct. You can eat the stems and the head, so nothing is wasted.
Tofu broccolette stir fry recipe
- 10 branches of broccolette
- 1 tub of medium to firm tofu
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of ground annatto seeds
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Cut the broccolette stems in 3-inch long sections.
- Drain the water from the tofu and cube it.
- Julienne the bell pepper.
- Crush the garlic and chop it thinly.
- On a wok or large frying pan, add the oil and allow it to heat on high.
- Add the tofu and quickly sprinkle the ground annatto seeds, stirring carefully and turning once the tofu has fried for a minute.
- Set the tofu aside on a serving plate.
- Add the garlic to the frying pan and stir.
- Add the broccolette and the bell pepper. Stir and cover for two to three minutes, stirring once in between.
- Add the tofu back in.
- Add the salt and the sesame oil and stir for one minute.
- Serve over plain rice.
Tofu broccolette stir fry recipe. biteslife.com