This baked chicken thighs recipe includes a blend of rosemary, oregano and ground annatto seeds for color. Potatoes are baked with the chicken for an optional side dish. Tender and juicy, these thighs go well with salad, rice, quinoa or cous cous.
The dark meat in chicken is delicious when braised or baked. Unlike chicken breasts, dark meat is fattier and will not dry when baked without the addition of sauces or oils. Pictured below are the baked chicken thighs and potatoes served with my rice cooker black bean rice and a mixed salad.
Baked chicken thighs recipe
- 2 lbs. boneless/skinless chicken thighs
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 teaspoon of ground annatto seeds bija or achiote
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground or flaked oregano
- 1 teaspoon of rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spread olive oil on it.
- Lay the chicken thighs on the greased foil, unfolding them completely in all directions.
- Mix the salt, rosemary, oregano and ground annatto seeds (bija) in a small bowl. Using your hands or a spoon, sprinkle this mixture onto both sides of the thighs.
- Cut the potatoes into small cubes or wedges. Place in between the chicken thighs and add the remaining salt/herb mix. You can also bake the potatoes without seasoning.
- Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes or until thighs are tender and easily break with a fork. Thighs temperature should reach 165 if using a meat thermometer.
- Serve and enjoy!